Saturday, January 3, 2009

This Is My New Favorite Verse

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV)

I'm in Bible study today at the table as part of what I hope becomes my new routine for Saturdays. It's not like the idea is new or anything, but again, with me, it's the matter of taking a new idea and making a practice out of it. I know what to do here - as with a lot of other areas in my life - it's just that doing what needs to be done is difficult at times.

Anyway, I wrote Holli a Bible verse archiving script a while back. It lets her tag verses with various descriptors and look them back up later, and it seems to help her in her study. Well, a couple of months ago, one of our pastors at HealingPointe spoke about verses that helped to give us meaning and self esteem. Along with her message, she passed out a sheet with a big list of verses on it broken into three categories: I am accepted, I am secure, and I am significant. I took those verses today and added them into the archiving script, both for Holli's use and for my own, and now I'm reading through them.

In reading through, I came across that verse from 2 Timothy, and it speaks volumes to me. I'm a guy, and having elevated levels of testosterone as opposed to half of the world probably makes me look at my Lord and King as a warrior and a leader in addition to all the wonderful things He is. That outlook also makes me look for those qualities in myself, and they're sometimes hard for me to find. Having this verse as affirmation is huge for me; God didn't make me weak - he made me to to be able to accomplish the work He has planned for me here and to be able to lead my family. He wouldn't have made me with those tasks and not made me capable of accomplishing them.

As I said, that affirmation is important to me. Sometimes you just want someone to hug you and tell you something positive. Well, this verse does that for me.

If any of you are interested, you can find the Bible verse script and browse through the categories I mentioned (or any of the other verses that have been logged) at www.FortySixTenStudios.com/bibleversesearch.php. Having delivered that shameless promotion, I now leave you, dear readers. Have a blessed day!

No comments: