Friday, January 2, 2009

Bookmarks

Oh, holy craps. I can actually read your blog now?

Holli Swank

Yes, Holli, you can read my blog now.

Anyway, I'm going to start documenting some of the stuff that I do here in this space. It'll be kind of like I'm making my work progress accountable to the world. It's like in Ye Olden Dayes (tm) when you got to Finger someone to find out what they were doing, but without the unintentionally funny sexual overtones.

Anyway, I worked last night, despite being on vacation. Vacation's pretty much over at this point, as far as I'm concerned. Since all of my clients think I'm still on vacation, though, I mostly worked on things for me. What did I work on, you ask? Well, I wrote a piece of software to allow me to create online bookmarks. I like to reformat my computer - quite frequently, in all truth - and I always lose my bookmarks. Well, lost bookmarks no more.

It was really just something to get my coding muscles working again after a long period of dormancy. I might tweak it to turn it into a product some day, but there are already tons of services like it out there that are free. I didn't write mine because it's better, necessarily, but because it's mine and it's going to work the way I want it to. In cases where the code is simple, I'd rather rewrite an already extant system to make it serve my purposes than rework my thinking to make my needs fit what's available with the system.

I'm pretty sure I've lost you all at this point. I'll stop typing now.

No comments: