Thursday, January 15, 2009

Unintended Side Effects

Ouch.

Pat Welsh as E.T.
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

My touchpad on my laptop is no good. It's not nearly as sensitive as I'd like it to be - which means it's not as sensitive as my old touchpad - which I hate. Even worse, though, is the fact that I get random lockups in its field of movement; for instance, it randomly decides that it won't move vertically anymore from time to time. This is, as I'm sure you can imagine, a most unfortunate circumstance for a web developer. The fact that the only reliable method I've found for fixing this malady is to - brace yourself for the jargon - bang the snot out of my laptop on the desk is a tad distressing.

As bad as those things might sound, they're not the worst part of it though. The worst part is that my touchpad is warm to the touch. Not warm enough to call it hot, but warm enough that I could use it as a good heating pad if it was considerably larger. So as I sit here every night working, shifting my mouse here and there to fulfill my responsibilities, I'm slowly burning the fingertip of my right index finger. Read that sentence again and let it sink in for a minute.

Yeah, it's no good.

No comments: