Friday, January 2, 2009

A Fresh Start

This was unexpected
What do I do now?
Could we start again, please?

Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice
"Could We Start Again, Please?"
Jesus Christ Superstar (1970)


It's been an interesting start to ought-nine for me. I'm in the middle of my vacation at the moment, and I've had a lot of time to reflect. It's not that I don't do this frequently or anything, but this time, something feels different to me. I've talked big words about getting my finances straight, losing weight, controlling my temper, and so on and so forth before, but I actually believe that things are going to stick this time.

I spent most of the day today mired in the deepest pits of the Swank family budget, cleaning house, and reading Dave Ramsey's book. The amount of time I wasted today was inconsiderable. For those of you who know me well, this probably sounds like I'm talking about someone else. Honestly, though, there's no way to describe things other than to say that I feel like someone else.

It's like God's pulled me along gently, inch by inch, letting me fix a little thing here or a little thing there. He always seemed to be moving me along at a pace that seemed manageable. This time, however, He's just kind of flung me headlong into the Pit of Things Larry Needs to Fix (tm) with a promise that He'd meet me on the other end of it. For the first time in my life, though, I actully feel like I'm going to make it.

No comments: