Friday, January 9, 2009

Doing Some Housekeeping

Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them.

Benjamin Disraeli

Not my actual residence, although it could particularly use it at almost any given moment. Holli and I aren't the best housekeepers, you see. We're aware of our failings, and we do our best to overcome them, but we've still got a ways to go. As long as we know you're coming over, the house will be clean when you get here, but if you catch us unawares, all bets are off. Having all three of the kids at home for homeschooling every day now doesn't make matters much easier in that department, either, so we've got to come up with a system that works.

The actual housekeeping I'm doing at the moment uses the phrase somewhat loosely. I'm getting things organized on the "corporate" website, FortySixTenStudios.com, for the impending reopening of business following my Christmas vacation. Now, it's not like I haven't been working as normal for the past week anyway - I'm not sure my brain is wired for three weeks of vacation anymore - but I've still been closed to the public until Monday. This is giving me a chance to clean up some of the nitpicky things I've wanted to do on that site but hadn't found the time for lately, which is a good feeling.

I've also got some internal housekeeping that needs done. I'm trying very hard to let the Lord take care of that instead of doing it myself, though, because as with the real housekeeping, I find myself lacking in that department. Our church is being led into a season of corporate fasting and prayer, and I'm going to try to do everything I can to really throw myself into that. God willing, I'll have the strength to seek Him out and get things straightened up.

We're talking about possibly kicking things off with a "media fast" next week - no access to the junk that gets filtered in through the media - and I couldn't be more excited about that. We don't have cable or an antenna or anything here, so TV is scarce to begin with; we borrow the occasional special or season of something from the library here and there, but for the most part, our TV consumption is limited. Perhaps more importantly in that, though, our consumption of TV commercials is almost non-existent, leaving me blissfully ignorant of what's cool or what I have to have. I like that.

I'm rambling now, but it's somewhat related, so I'll yap about it anyway. We're planning a Family Blackout sometime in the spring when it warms up. We're going to throw the breakers and use nothing that involves electricity for a day, just to let the kids get an idea of what it's like. Please don't be surprised if I enjoy it and none of you ever see me again without a map to my cabin.

If any of you think I'm serious, please stop and think for a minute. Larry couldn't build a cabin. He's also afraid of the woods and likes running water. C'mon, people.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I probably COULD end up in a cabin somewhere...
but now I like blogging too much. :)

And there's a reason you've never seen our house before. Um. Housekeeping?? Well, I can say I've improved in technique but each time we add a child, it gets a little worse...

Larry Swank said...

We try to keep a clean house - we really do. It's just disheartening to clean up the living room only to have it destroyed again by the kids in 24 hours, that's all.