Monday, January 19, 2009

You Have to Be Freaking Kidding Me

You have failed me for the last time, Admiral.

James Earl Jones as Darth Vader
Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

I've been waiting more than a month - actual time, mind you, not HEST (Hyperbolic Exaggerated Standard Time) - for a server change so I could implement some script for a client. Today, the change, which apparently consisted of little more than adding a .DLL library to the Windows server I'm working on, was finally implemented. Predictably, it broke the server, which now is incapable of processing PHP pages, which prevents me from working on this project tonight.

Now, I'm a fairly easygoing kind of guy about these kind of things usually. It's just that in this case, I've been waiting for a month for action on this issue that probably took them about 30 minutes of research and implementation, the "fix" broke the server I should be working on, and this is the third time server guys have broken something I needed to work on this week. I am at the end of my wits, ready to break the camel's back with the final straw, which is probably woven out of my last good nerve.

I'm not working on client stuff tonight. Unless my biggest client - who I think is battling grizzly bears with his bear hands in the Rocky Mountains this week and therefore is unlikely to contact me - needs something, I'm working on my own projects. I think, at this point, it's necessary to maintain my sanity.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Um, you had me with Star Wars references and then lost me with geek speak. But I hope it gets better with the server thing.

Larry Swank said...

Heh ... yeah, I tend to forget sometimes that I'm writing for an audience.