Thursday, February 12, 2009

One Server to Rule Them All

"I pass the test," she said. "I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."

J.R.R. Tolkein
The Lord of the Rings (1957)

The server guys got me again. I had a client send me an e-mail today, very distressed about a bunch of errors that were showing up in the code I'd written for him. Now, when I'd turned the code over to him, said errors didn't exist, so needless to say I was a bit perplexed. I'm a dutiful web dork, though, so I sat down in front of the trusty Lappy to investigate things this evening.

What did I find? I found that a server monkey somewhere changed a setting that had absolutely no business being changed that made MySQL think that the queries I'd written - which it had no problems with last time I saw them - were now suddenly too complicated. In case you're wondering, they're not, but that's beside the point. The point is that, yet again, a server monkey on a shared host has made a change that's somehow jacked up my code.

Slow, deep breaths, Larry. Slow, deep breaths.

I plan on expanding the business this year. I've got a good friend of mine I'm going to sit down and have a long conversation with, because he'd be the guy I'd pick to be my Number One out of anyone in the world. Whether it's him I start with or someone I bring in from the outside, I'm going to build this business this year.

I'm doing it for a lot of reasons. I'm doing it because I have the ultimate goal of making myself expendable to the business, so that I can drop off the face of the earth to do missions work for weeks at a time and my family can still eat. I'm doing it so that I can go use more of the gifts God's given me to His glory. I'm doing it because, as my accountant - the real one, not my wife - so succinctly put it, "there's only one way for a business to go." I'm doing it because I feel like I've finally been given release by the Lord to do it; like it's finally in His plan for me to do it.

The number one reason I'm doing it, though, is to get my own server. I'm going to buy a big, fat, expensive Linux box, put it somewhere with a huge, treetrunk of a pipe it can plug into, and pay someone who knows what they're doing to set it up and maintain it according to my specifications. When I have my server set up, I will migrate all of my clients that I host over to it. I will demand that any new clients I work with either host on my server or sign a waiver stating that they get absolutely no free support from me after the initial consultation, because I'm not going to fix what a server monkey breaks. My server shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!

No comments: