Thursday, February 26, 2009

Video Games

Capcom loves money, plans more Monster Hunter for PSP

playstation.joystiq.com

I've not talked much about video games since I came off of the media fast. This is for a good reason: I've not played video games much since I came off the media fast. There's not been any particular reason, mind you - I'm not abstaining further from them or anything like that. I just don't have as big an appetite for them as I used to.

This year has been about setting things right for me in a lot of areas. I'm following through with my diet, clocking in today at a less-beefy-than-ever 216 pounds. I'm also making huge strides in how I spend my time, particularly in attempting to waste as little of it as possible. One of the things that has gone by the wayside has been entertainment that's for "just me." I used to sit down in the evening, fire up a PS3 game, and play to have fun for three or four hours. The idea of letting three or four hours go by like that now is anathema to me, especially when there are so many other productive things that I could be doing.

Now, that's not to say I'm not playing video games at all, mind you, but my gaming time has just been trimmed. I very rarely play alone anymore, and when I do, it's in specialized circumstances. Larry's Now Playing list of games is as follows:

iMafia (iPhone) - Yeah, an iPhone game is on top of the list. I can log in, play for five minutes once or twice a day, and then it does everything else without me having to interact with it. This appeals to me. For those of you without an iPhone, it's basically the Mafia Wars Facebook game, except you win not by having the most friends but by actually, you know, using strategy.

Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP) - It's freaking Monster Hunter! Of course I still play it. Best game ever.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) - This is the "play with Holli" game. We hook it up to the TV and progress through the story, because she loves to watch the story unfold as I play. It's good "us" time when we just need to veg, which we still do en temps de temps. I then do the side quests as time allows between sessions with Holli.

Umm, yeah. That's it. That's the list.

Did you notice a pattern to all of them? They're all portable and meant to be consumed in bite-sized chunks. That's pretty much my gaming style now. I just can't bring myself to sit down in front of the TV and kill hours of time gaming anymore. It's not a bad thing - it's just not my thing.

No comments: