Sunday, February 8, 2009

It Stands for What You See Is What You Get

The phrase was originally a catch phrase popularized by Flip Wilson's drag persona "Geraldine" (from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In in the late 60s and then on The Flip Wilson Show until 1974), who would often say "What you see is what you get" to excuse her quirky behavior.

Wikipedia: WYSIWYG

Congratulations to my pastor, Eric Starkey, for winning the grand prize of twice nothing for winning the "Help Larry Rename His Blog Sweepstakes!" His twice nothing will be getting delivered via not-an-armored car sometime in the future. Everybody give Eric a big hand.

It works for me. Despite its apparent etymology, its current nomenclature belongs to the geeks. It's commonly used in reference to text or HTML editors now, implying that what you see on the screen as you're editing is what the finished product will actually look like. So it's dorky, which means it fits me.

It also works for me in the more literal sense, because that's what I'm trying to give people a glimpse of with the blog: who I actually am. As Eric himself has pointed out before, the beauty of just being yourself with everyone is that it's so easy on you; you're not having to constantly adjust what you're doing to be one way at church, another at work, another at home, and so on.

I'm just Larry. I love God, I love my family, I love my friends, and when it's not frustrating me, I love my job. I'm trying hard to be a better Christian on a daily basis, and I fail frequently. I love the Cubs. I'm a big geek. I fight a constant struggle with my weight and health. I'm something of a wiseacre, to put it mildly. Hopefully, this blog will reflect who I actually am.

What you see is what you get.

No comments: