Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ten Random Songs from my iPod, Round II

I felt the power
Of death over life
I orphaned his children
I widowed his wife
And all for no reason
Just one piece of lead
I hung my head
I hung my head

Johnny Cash
"I Hung My Head"
American IV: The Man Comes Around (2002)

It's time for another one. Here we go!

  1. "Draw Me Nearer" by Caedmon's Call from WOW Hymns
    WOW Hymns is an awesome album. New Christian artists singing old hymns (or new songs written in the style of old-timey hymns). It's very cool. I cleaned out my iPod recently, letting go of my obsession to keep only full albums on, thereby deleting a bunch of duplicates and freeing up some space. I left this full album on, though, because the hymns are a nice break in my usual lineup of songs.

  2. "The Gloomy Mansion" by Takeharu Ishimoto from Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Original Soundtrack
    I'm a dork. I was a dork last time, I'm a dork this time, I'll be a dork next time I do this. The video game music stays.

  3. "Hey Now" by tobyMac and Coffee from Welcome to Diverse City
    Another full album that survived the purge. Toby's awesome.

  4. "I Need You to Love Me" by BarlowGirl from WOW Hits 2008
    Holli and I have different opinions on chicks that rock. I like them. She does not. Not because of any female jealousy or anything, she just likes her rockers to be guys. I like female rockers because they bring something different to the table vocally. Suffice it to say, I like BarlowGirl.

  5. "Born Again" by Third Day from Revelation
    Dude rockers are alright, too, though.

  6. "Lord Move, or Move Me" by FFH from Found a Place
    This song is awesome. We first heard it at church (hooray for Frank and Beth!), and it's just got really powerful lyrics. I've always been the kind of guy that the lyrics have to appeal to me in a song, and this fits the bill on that. That's why I've never liked speed metal of any type: if I can't understand the words of a song, it's useless to me.

  7. "Samuel's Awakening" by Jason Upton from Open Up the Earth
    My love for Upton's music is well documented. Objectively, I'll say that he's a lot better on his live albums than on his studio albums. There's a level of passion that comes through in his live stuff that just doesn't translate into a studio-engineered album.

  8. "Doxology" by David Crowder Band from WOW Hymns
    If you grew up going to church, you know the Doxology. We sang it at IHOP on Friday, in fact, and it was awesome. Well, this is the best version of it ever.

  9. "I Hung My Head" by Johnny Cash from American IV: The Man Comes Around
    One of my regrets is that it took me until Cash's cover of "Hurt" to realize just how awesome The Man in Black really was. Vaya con Dios, Johnny, although I know you did.

  10. "Take My Life (and Let It Be)" by Chris Tomlin from WOW Hymns
    Chris Tomlin is one of our great modern performers, and his songs are going to live on long past his career. His music is absolutely amazing.

1 comment:

Beth said...

FRANK AND I OPENED FOR BARLOW GIRL ONCE! That's the coolest our band Behind 4 Walls ever got. Just had to share that. Sure, their first CD was about to drop so no one knew who they were at that time...but they were the coolest and nicest girls I have ever met. Really. They are super talented and genuine. Youngest Barlow girl- sings lead sometimes WHILE playing the drums. You know that equals awesome in my book!

Quiz time: Who produced Barlow Girl? Why, the peeps from FFH! Small world! I thought they were way cheesy until I saw them live, and they also gained my respect.

Okay...I will leave you alone now.