Thursday, March 5, 2009

Unintended Side Effects IV: Mo' Unintended, Mo' Problems

Nnn-huh

Erin Swank
When I asked her if she was ready to go back to bed just now

I write a lot about the bad parts of working at night. Well, this isn't one of those posts. So if you were in the mood for some she-dogging (hooray for obscure game references!), you're not going to get it from me tonight.

Anyway, one of the best unintended things to come from working at night is that when one of the kids wakes up with a problem, I'm almost always the parent that gets to handle it. I sleep like a rock, so when something would go wrong for one of the kids before, Holli would take care of it because the commotion would invariably fail to wake me up before it woke her up. Considering that I'm now up for half of her slar phase (hooray for obscure movie references!), though, I'm usually awake and ready to take care of any child-related problems when they arise these days.

Like tonight, when Erin randomly woke up and wanted hugs. She came in and whimpered at the door, and I told her to come in. She came in, climbed right up onto my lap, and snuggled in for hugging. We had snuggly time for about five minutes, then I asked her if she wanted to go back to bed. She responded as above - which I'm still not sure if it was affirmative or negative - and then climbed off of me. I took her back to bed, tucked her in, and was thoroughly satisfied about being a daddy.

And she's back. Apparently her tummy hurts. I think she just wants hugs, though, and that's cool. Sometimes you just want to hang out with a four-year-old at 2:24 AM.

In other awesome working at night news, I just realized how cool this summer is going to be. It's going to be 11 PM when I start working, and hopefully about 60 or 70 degrees outside. I will grab my lappy, take it out on the balcony, and work in the outside comfort. I somehow think that will help tremendously with the crushing emptiness I feel at night. I'll let you know how that goes. You know, if it ever warms up.

Global warming my fat, white butt.

No comments: