Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm With You, Mike

I don't like it. It's all coming down.

Mike Holmes

I'm sure that most of you probably don't know who Mike Holmes is. In light of this, you can educate yourself here. For those of you who don't want to click the link and read, though, here's the short version:

He's a contractor from Canada. He has a show on some Discovery network or another, I beilieve, that Holli and I used to watch all the time. The premise of the show is that someone got, in some fashion, screwed over by a contractor that was either dishonest, incompetent, or both, and then Mike would come in to clean up the mess for them. He'd shock himself on wires that were left hot, punch holes in drywall and rip it off with his bare hands (no lie), and invariably end up ripping out everything the other contractor did and redoing it from scratch.

Why did he do this? First off, because he's a businessman and it's lucrative; he made a television show that he sold to a major cable network off of this practice. Second, because he's philanthropic; he wants to help these people - most of whom are out thousands upon thousands of dollars with literally nothing to show for it - and because of the income from the TV show he was often times able to help at a fraction of the cost of the work he ended up doing. Finally, though, he did it because he honestly seemed to despise the other contractors - the incompentent and dishonest ones, because they gave him and his profession a bad name.

I am Mike Holmes. Except I'm a web dork instead of a contractor. And I can't punch holes in drywall because I'm not awesome like that. The burning anger raging deep inside over dishonest and incompetent people making me look bad, though? Check. Said anger flaring up every time I have to clean up behind another web guy who screwed one of my clients over? Double check. Camera crew following me around to sell the whole thing as reality TV? Well, we're still working on that one.

In other news, after posting about letting God guide the business earlier this week, I had a new client call me out of the blue today needing to get some work done. There's a meeting scheduled for Monday, and I just so happened to have this afternoon free to do a mockup to show them. I pretty much give up at trying to do business myself at this point. God's going to do what He wants. I basically work for Him. I wonder if the state would let me get away with listing Him as the CEO ...

In yet other news, Connor turned seven today. That is, in technical terms, imbefrickingpossible. My little boy, my middle child, cannot be seven. He got Lego Star Wars for the Wii from his grandma today, and we were playing it before he went off for dinner with different grandparents. He's running around beating the crap out of the Gammorean guards in Jabba's palace as Chewbacca, and I'm sitting there as Luke, nunchuk in hand, wondering aloud: "How do I make these stupid blocks build something?" It's comical how old I've become.

In still more news, I'm all alone tonight. Erin is with Grandma Margaret. Connor is having dinner for his birthday with Pappy and DeeDee. Holli and Brianna - and I assure you that I am not making any of this up - dressed up like one another and went out to a Girl Scout event where they will "rock out," discuss current issues facing girls, learn about proper skin care, and let the mommys learn what it's like to be a girl in the oughties while the girls learn what I was like to be a girl in the eighties and ninetys.

I'm just kind of playing guitar. Well, I was. My left hand started to hurt and I got frustrated by almost playing the riff to "I Alone" for the bajillionth time, so I stopped and started this post. Alright, I'm done.

No comments: